Wednesday, August 12, 2009

32 Faculties of Mind—Memory


Today on tour of the mind in the invisible self of the Godhead we will browse memory.

Memory is a critical component of being in the Godhead. Without memory the persons of the Godhead would have no ongoing sense of person. As it is, the 3-persons of the Godhead know who they are and they remember it. They know truth and remember it. They understand all mysteries and remember them. Without memory, omniscience (all-knowing) would be impossible. Knowledge must be retained to be useful.

As with all faculties of the mind in the Godhead, memory is strictly edited. God is in conscious control of all his faculties, be it thinking, reasoning, memory, or yet-to-come intellect or choice.

The following is a practical description of the faculty of memory in the Godhead:

Faculty: Memory

Definition: N., the ability to remember or recall (Webster’s).

N., “the ability to retain knowledge—the ability of the mind . . . to retain learned information and knowledge of . . . events and experiences and to retrieve that information and knowledge. (A) stock of retained knowledge and experience. The knowledge or impression that somebody retains of a person, event, period, or subject.” (Encarta, 2009)

Operation: To remember. The ability to store or recall raw or complex data through the faculty of memory (i.e., to recall instructions, yoohoo! Adam and Eve!).

Hebrew, V., sâkar (Strong’s #2142) to “(make) mention (of), be mindful, recount, record, remember, make to be remembered, bring (call, come, keep, put) to (in) remembrance. . .”

For example: Isaiah 43:25

“I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for my own sake; And I will not remember (sâkar) your sins.”

Inserting a suitable substitute word from definition:

“I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for my own sake; And I will not be mindful of (sâkar) your sins.”

This verse is a perfect picture of God:

By saying I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, God speaks of who He is—the only one who can erase wrongdoing.

And I will not remember your sins is a statement that speaks of how God edits His own memory.

Product: History, knowing, resource, background, precedent, recollection, relationship

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment