Meaning: “conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”
In this second week of the New Year, Thoughtful Reader, I have decided that it is well for me to make fresh commitment to that which I believe best serves the soul—living a meaningful life.
Thankfully, my most reliable source, Scripture, tells me clearly what best serves the soul, what constitutes a meaningful life. In Scripture, it is promised that a soul is best served by receiving God’s purpose, plan, will and delight as the sum total, overall, be-all-and-end-all meaning of life! And for this truth there is truly no substitute. And there is truly reason to celebrate. He who embraces such a concept experiences that all things fall into place around it, eventuating enduring meanings, adventure and delightful relationships! Life comes into focus. It makes sense.
Yes, it’s true, Gentle Reader, It is meaning that reminds one daily of the desirability of life, the rarity of the treasure of life. And that particular meaning is more than enough reason for me to conclude and hold dear the (now) fact (to me) that life does, indeed, have meaning. You will never get me to let go, certainly of this one unearthed meaning, that life is a fine idea, straight from the finest mind of them all—God, and that He means for me (and you) to profit from it for all time. How fortunate we are!
But how did I get here, arrive at this cornerstone understanding? The answer is simple.
In addition to applying my formula of enjoyment + curiosity = adventure, I add attraction!
I always was and am attracted by goodness. Goodness is a “strange attractor” to me. It warms my soul. I melt in the face of it. It spontaneously calls out the better person in me.
But it is due to the Holy Spirit that I am only attracted to the goodness of Christ and the Holy Trinity. Mere mortal fabrications of goodness never satisfy me. I yearn for divine goodness. I think, truth-be-known, that we all do.
From this strange attraction to goodness (forgive me if I borrow perhaps too freely from a Chaos Theory term—strange attractors—but order out of chaos, the function generally speaking of a strange attractor, is a good thing; so maybe not); I sense and derive several things (applied pressure of Holy Spirit, I assure you). Principally, I sense that good meaning in life is necessary for life, or else one’s life is just too depressing to contemplate.
Further, I sense (thank you, again, Holy Spirit) that though often not readily apparent, good meaning is what I value—I want—something that must be sought, is necessary for survival itself and something that is very real.
I don’t think I am alone in sensing these things. Holy Spirit works in any receptive person. And I know other people also sense that the pursuit of meaningfulness is desirable and worthwhile, because they tell me so. They too find that good is strangely attractive and that good meaning is out there and can be found. And they desire to answer to its beckoning call.
But the caveat remains that to find meaning, especially good meaning, one must ardently seek it. This caveat is the lock down, bolt down directive in and of itself. Ardent seeking is imperative. So ardent seeking became my motto, is my motto. . .but not before I learned about surrender.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment