I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July
Holiday! We in this house did!
But now, continuing my thinking on stress and public demand
for knowledge ability, The variant answers
from people on the street to late-night talk show host Jay Leno’s probing
questions (such as, in what year did Columbus sail the ocean blue, or who was
the first president of the United States, or where is the San Francisco Golden
Gate Bridge located, etc.) display to me the most baffling array of
misinformation, or poor recall, or whatever what one wants to call it, that I have
ever heard. And, yes, the misguided responses are hysterically funny to both me
and his other fans.
But these brave public responders on the street are awfully
good sports to allow us to poke fun at them as if we were never so ridiculous
ourselves; and when they articulate their errant answers with such sublime
innocence and nonchalance, we are certainly cynical indeed to sneer at their
ineptitude. I mean, after all, sneering at others’ slip-ups is rude to say the
least, if one is truthful with oneself. Have we not already decided that?
And even though the remedy for such predicament is knowing
one’s subject to a surfeit, as I declared in my last blog, how many, let me ask
you, how many of us do that?
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment