Meaning: “conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”
“Emerson, I cannot imagine why you should concern yourself about such a trivial and meaningless matter when we have so many other important issues to discuss (Amelia Peabody Emerson to her husband Radcliffe Emerson, Lion in the Valley, by Elizabeth Peters, Avon Books, ©2001. p. 156).”
Much like our heroine here, I frequently find myself distracted by meaningless matters, some serious, some not. And, as a result, I have invested many years in developing the knack of quickly determining the onset of a meaningless matter and swiftly instituting corrective measures. Certainly, it can be done, some matters being dispatched very easily. Others, like spiritual warfare, require nothing short of supernatural power, a necessity for which God has well-provided.
Yes, take heart, Gentle Reader; God’s power is available, reliable and true. And, once again, by employing Scriptural Practices and by the process of asking for such empowerment, God’s power becomes ever-present, ever-ready, and enduring to the believer. Not to mention a great comfort.
Not only God’s power but also his protection and provision are always available for the asking, reliable and true. Knowing this, every morning I exercise the Scriptural Practice of putting on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18, NKJV)—a major protection and provision against all meaningless matters. Just how do I do that you wonder?
Well, I pray. In a daily morning prayer I begin by thanking God for his availability and trustworthiness. Next, I confess my sins—rebellion, going it on my own, etc. Then I ask God to cleanse me anew of my sins in the precious blood of Jesus and to fill me anew with Holy Spirit—to be filled and led by Holy Spirit.
After that, I follow the instructions of Ephesians 6: I remind myself before God that I must daily put on His full armor—I must know His Word (belt), believe it (shield,) and use it (sword); freely forgive (footgear); be conformed to the image of Jesus (breastplate); and know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that I am saved from sins past, present and future (helmet).
Thus cleansed and filled in the spirit and dressed in the armor, I now ask God’s help in several ways: help to draw on His strength and mighty power in all things; help to use my fighting spirit (fight response) to resist, refute and rebuke the enemy; help to “walk in a manner worthy,” and “conduct myself in a manner worthy” of the Lord (by coming into step with indwelling Holy Spirit). I also remind myself that there will always be various and many trials and to count them all joy (that means to see them as an opportunity, looking with anticipation to how God will help me in and through them). Further, I recommit to daily holding my thoughts, my feelings and my will captive to the Lord Jesus and to practice, practice, practice all these provisions and protections.
Lastly (that is before I proceed to my petitions), I ask him for more helps: help to use my fears (flight response) to always panic-and-pray (as a one-two punch to fear); help to commit my day to Him, asking Him to be with me in it; help to remember to pray my way through and let prayer steady me through . . . everything; help to always look for and recognize and appreciate His presence and person, promptings, protections and provisions in my day.
These are the focus-finding moments of my day, Gentle Reader. I do not venture into any day without them. I submit all to God. And, believe me, learning to submit to God in all things takes a lifetime and more. No believer is a finished work until she/he is glorified (a finished work) in eternity.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment