Wednesday, November 3, 2010

151 The Sublime Adventure

Meaning:conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”

Gentle Reader, this exploration of my Significant Truth #2: Meaning has so far produced quite a select stack of findings on both the influence of meaning-making on thinking and behavior and the challenges, complexities and now adventure involved in becoming a meaning-maker! Obviously, I’m trying to be thorough in my sort-out! Wouldn’t you agree?

And after last blog, on adventure, I think it timely at this point to acquire yet another “keeper” from the profusion of possibilities I set aside in times past in anticipation of a someday sort-out just like this one. My choice? A right application of adventuring! Of all possible right applications of adventuring I have gathered over time, I find this one most relevant and, therefore, have decided to keep it: Adventure-seeking achieves its pinnacle of performance and satisfaction in a right relationship with the Triune God. Oh, to think I might have missed this one!

But I know you are wondering why this one above all others? Because. Because it is becoming progressively clear to me that adventure-seeking in the company of God is, and always will be, the most valid, desirable, and necessary outgrowth of right meaning-seeking possible. And I’ll share these 3 reasons for my thinking:

Reason one, according to Scripture our Triune God is the original Meaning-Maker! Well, I could rest my case right there . . . but to continue! He initiated this whole adventure of Creation and life, found it good (Genesis 1 – 3), and in spite of the fall, which He allowed for His own good reasons, means ultimately to take both Creation and life to a greater fullness of good (Revelation). In other words, His adventure with us has just begun and that’s one adventure I definitely don’t want to miss.

Reason two, it is written in Scripture, “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4). Always a good reason for a joint venture with anyone, don’t you think? Think of it this way, a suitor says to you, “If you delight in our relationship as much as I do, then marry me and I will treasure you forever.” Wow! Talk about a persuasive offer!

And reason three, it is written in Scripture, “Seek the Lord while He may be found (Isaiah 55:6).” This is the real cincher. I am realistic enough to know when I need help. So while His invitation is open, I’m accepting.

I ask you to recall that in last blog I proposed that adventure-seeking can, in general, be enjoyable and a valuable use of mental powers. Now I ask you to combine this observation with all the thinking above and look, Gentle Reader! Do you see what I see? A remarkable thing emerges: yet another simple yet divine formula for my now growing collection appears—a formula for perfect application of meaning—God + enjoyment + intellectual curiosity + choice = sublime adventure!

Perfect application of meaning can be as simple as that you know, Thoughtful Reader—apply a little enjoyment and curiosity, and choose to embark hand-in-hand with God on adventure on His own terms, and one can be off on a grand adventure packed full of endless possibilities!

And I do believe there are many who, like me, cherish an allegiance to both that conviction and formula.

Be that as it may, the best of all to me is that this formula is the essence of what adventuring of the positive kind means — it is a formula for delight! And when I make it a regular delight to adventure in the Lord in good times (or in bad), and when I adventure with the Lord full of enjoyment and curiosity, sublime adventure is my experience and, I assure you, an experience we all are meant to share!

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment