Wednesday, February 9, 2011

165 Attitude Adjustment


Meaning:conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”

I do believe the list just reviewed in last blog is pretty pitiful, Thoughtful Reader. What it implies is that many, oh-so-many people miss the point on meaning and its powerful dynamic in life. To me, ignoring meaning is like forgetting to harness the horse to the plow and still trying to till the field. I mean, it’s just not going to happen!

Anyway, one can readily see that to get that field rightly plowed, one must acquire . . . a horse!

And to get a rightly productive life, one must acquire . . . right meaning.

So to get that misdirected individual back on course (me included) to a meaningful life (if such should be her/his desire) one must embark upon a strenuous course of Attitude Adjustment.

Interestingly, attitude drives much if not all of our human behavior. Scripture says Jesus carefully examined His own attitudes and always selected for right attitudes. For example, Scripture says Jesus “humbled Himself (Philippians 2:8, NKJV)”—a simple statement implying that he deliberated between being arrogant and humble and chose humble.

I find arrogant attitudes lurking in just about everything. I cannot tell you how often I catch out an arrogant attitude trying to appear as a normal approach to daily living in my life. I cannot count how many times I have recognized arrogant nonsense afoot in my thinking and had to instantly say to myself, “He humbled Himself,” and then deliberately do as Jesus did. Worse yet, I hate to think of the plentitude of times, I am sure, that I have blundered arrogantly about with no knowledge of my obtuseness to my own failing in this area.

That being the case, Gentle Reader, I certainly can assure you that I do qualify to have a recommendation on the subject of arrogance—from experience—the recommendation of attitude adjustment.

And, derived from my description of my own dealings with arrogant inclinations, I have found the following to be a sure-fire method of disarming such predisposition, a sure-fire method of attitude adjustment: Imitate Jesus.

When I find myself going “arrogant,” I check my impulse with Philippians 2:8. It works every time, and of course it would. If one so far superior to me can and does check and humble Himself in a timely and reliable manner as a routine practice of His life, then, well, then to endeavor to do as He does (and relying on His supernatural assistance through Holy Spirit), so can and must I.

It is the least I can do, that is, I can at least acknowledge His attitudes and behavior as preferential to my own. I must also at the very least attempt to take on His superior ways—because they are superior!

And that’s my perfect solution every time: Attitude Adjustment!

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment