Meaning: “conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”
The 2011 Christian Season of Lent begins today, Wednesday, March 9 and lasts until Easter Sunday, April 24. It is a sober season of serious reflection upon the suffering and sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Only Living God and Savior of the world.
So, what better time to continue on the subject of attitude adjustment, since it is the principle outcome of the Lenten contemplative journey?
Let me explain. Gentle Reader, Scripture calls attitude adjustment repenting (rethinking and turning from one attitude or behavior to a better attitude or behavior) and recommends an ongoing lifestyle of personal relationship with Jesus, reflection and dependence upon His goodness, and repentance from a life of meaningless choices and wrong doing.
And how grateful I am that Scriptural repentance (attitude adjustment in Christ Jesus) blooms so easily when nurtured in life, Dear Reader, in mine, or yours, or anyone’s for that matter. And how grateful I am that the briar patch of bad attitudes I have neglectfully allowed to spring up over a lifetime can and is being beauteously transformed in an ongoing way all because of Him— through His power and in His practices such as the Lenten journey.
If such can happen in my life because of Jesus, Gentle Reader, anyone else, including Crosby and Jasmine (from last blog), can also have a blooming garden of splendid attitudes for her/his very own. It just takes attitude adjustment in Christ Jesus and Lent is the high season for that.
That being the case, to profit from the practice of Lent, it is necessary to open oneself to the experience. The problem is that most of us are ordinarily fiercely resistant to change, wouldn’t you agree, Gentle Reader?
For example, when Sweet Spirit emailed me a comment on Blog #163: Meaningless Choices. She said, “I believe that FEAR is the number one reason why people don't search.” We have already had a wee look at that idea in another blog.
Then she proceeded to add: “Number two would have to be that people become so set in who they *think* they are that they forget that there are bigger things than themselves out there.
I wrote back to her, “I also loved your Point Number 2— why people don't search for meaning—they get too set in their ways! Now that's a subtle little nugget of insight all too easily overlooked! Yes, I think people do (and I know I find myself sometimes doing so) get too comfortable with their (my) own thinking and frankly prefer to put out a "do not disturb" sign on their (or my) mindset, a condition generally described as a state of denial.”
Sweet Spirit sees this connection. She understands that fear and denial eventually become a fused pair with obdurate objection to interference of any kind, even of the noble kind such as that of Lent.
Obviously, having a “do not disturb” mindset is going to set me up for frequent “meaningless choices,” Gentle Reader. It’s going to set anyone up, including Crosby and Jasmine in the TV show Parenthood.
Unless, of course . . . unless I (they) repent.
Repenting corrects my (or their) mindset.
Attitude Adjustment corrects my (or their) mindset and puts us on a better path.
Contemplating the generosity of spirit of Jesus Christ over the season of Lent can do just that.
So, Lent has begun, and it’s time for me to take off my “do not disturb sign” and go deep and I cordially invite you to do the same. I can assure you, Gentle Reader, I know from experience, meaningful change of the right kind is an enduring blessing well worth the effort!
To be continued. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment