Meaning: “conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”
I may not have left “the best for last” but I certainly have saved the most important implication of meaning-seeking for last—Right Meaning-seeking must involve superior standards and values.
Up to now, I have spent a lot of time on the diversity inherent in placing meaning-seeking in a title role of Significant Truth. And diverse it is. I have only scratched the surface in mining meaning for all it’s worth. Perhaps the reason is my understanding of meaning-making is still emerging. Yet, the fact remains that I gave it quite prominence by making it Significant Truth #2.
Be that as it may, what intrigues me most about meaning now, as I ponder moving on from meaning-making to Significant Truth #3 (whose subject is as yet to be revealed), is how intrinsic right meaning-making ability is to life fitness. This truth leads me to ponder the audacity required to ignore such a fact. It would be like saying I don’t care if muscle is required to walk. I refuse to build muscle!
With that said, recall with me what I wrote in Blog #146, Challenge #6: “Meaning shapes personal values and must be evaluated by using standards and measurements.”
It’s time now to deal with that.
To begin, right meaning requires, without exception, right standards. Standards are a distinct category of thinking and can range from sterling to base (and cheap base at that—silver plated nickel is the only kind of hollowware to have that is plate, in my opinion, Dear Reader. But that does not keep such plate on the shelves. No indeed. Instead, silver on cheap base is stacked to the ceiling in the department stores, though frequently the jewelry stores of today are no better either.
That being the case, I am going to share with you over the next few blogs what standards I use to measure meaningfulness. And where I got them.
To be specific, at this point in my life, Patient Reader, I have plenty of reliable objective and subjective standards for just about anything I choose to believe, think or do, plus well-exercised mental faculties. Both stem from the substantial underpinning of my airhead debutante ways with Judeo-Christian teachings. And it is this foundation that has saved me from a wasted life.
Next blog, I will elaborate.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment