Wednesday, June 22, 2011

184 Get My Meaning? Meaning as an Opportunity


Meaning:conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”

Who would have thought that one little word—meaning—could involve so much, Gentle Reader?

It has taken background, definitions, method to sketch in mere rudiments. I have spent quite some time spelling out in detail how meaning-seeking contributes unique and important information in living a life, and how meaning has powerful influence in life. Mostly, I have shared how one must come to terms with the meaning in and of life, and how that can and should not be delayed or avoided.

Yes, meaning is all the above, but beyond all that, meaning-making is also a stiff challenge and, what’s more, a grand adventure, and a great opportunity with broad implications in quality of life matters. Therefore, I have also been careful to suggest some of the many implications of meaning-making in life, including confronting complexity, commitment to ardent seeking and the necessity of dedicated truth-seeking, to name a few.

And finally, I have endeavored to make clear how demanding the meaning-making process can be, how it requires scrupulous construction of and devotion to superior standards of meaning and incisive evaluation.

Hopefully, by now, you too have a greater appreciation for how prominently the pursuit of meaning has figured in my life. I have found it a road to God-granted wisdom. I even chose Meaning as my Significant Truth #2 in the box of life. I cannot imagine a life without meaning. I cannot imagine my life without meaning, and I thank God that He has made me a little champion of meaning in our time when so much is consumed in the triviality of busy, escapist lives.

The irony is that business and escapism do not add enjoyment to life, yet both oppress so many, myself included. And, in my time, I have been a cooperating victim of both. But I can assure you, Gentle Reader, it is only when one grasps and holds dear great truths that satisfaction abounds in life.

Each of us has the opportunity to choose to reach for greatness, then to define and explore greatness and to profit both self and others from the meaning we derive from our pursuit. To me, embracing meaningfulness is an opportunity for greatness beyond compare. And, God promises, if I am selective and choose my meanings wisely, I will never be disappointed in the results.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment