From our tour thus far we have gathered the understanding that we can continue to broaden our terminology in Modern English if we remember that we are duty-bound to press on in a responsible and accountable manner, always with scripture as the final and authoritative word at any point in our progress.
For example, other features of Elohim’s consciousness whose concepts derived from scripture, now gravitated to the above mentioned understanding concerning consciousness—the understanding that every word in existence has got background! Such features are perception, pure goodness and chaos (all to be lovingly addressed in coming blogs) and features all largely described in Modern English terms.
Once again, I cannot say it often enough, remember that I am using contemporary terms and ideas to describe the Ancient of Days. And just because I do, does not mean that contemporary words are better than classic words and ways. It’s just that I’m stuck with the contemporary because it is the time and thought patterns into which I was born. And I have to deal with it.
But now we can return to those related terms. To understand these features of consciousness— perception, pure goodness and chaos, I had to receive yet another understanding—that is, that the consciousness of God can be seen in its entirety (before committing to the Creation) as a still pool or reservoir of just such features (again, a good dictionary actually will point to this condition in its list of definitions, though philosophy books do tinker with this idea—but I think that they tinker badly, tend to lead one off into a convoluted la-la land.).
And furthermore, I had to embrace that all potential rests here in this reservoir of His being, in the consciousness of this unmoving and unmoved mover (Webster’s)—in the Godhead. And that the process (or lack thereof) involved in this state of consciousness, the state of awareness, is stasis or equilibrium, and it is characterized by inertia and the recently mentioned being, and all is at rest.
Absorbing all of this took quite a bit of contemplation I assure you, gentle reader, and the generous influence of Holy Spirit. Wading through all the subtlety and nuance tied to this pivotal word consciousness was indeed quite a marathon experience.
But slowly I came to see what a saturated and exquisitely primed potential this state of being suggested for what we moderns call the consciousness of God! And God’s being, a brimming and incomparable consciousness, at last became a term to which I could now relate, if not with last-word definitiveness and comprehension, certainly with a whole new level of appreciation.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment