Friday, October 16, 2009

46 Ultimate Emotion


Remember! When I refer to person in the Godhead in any blog, I am referring either to singular person (one-of-three) or to the collective person (three-in-one) of the Triune.

I told you there would be place for emotion in the context of later blogs, and here-we-are-already, drawn back to the role of emotion in the Godhead. Well, almost, that is, for you see, the emotion we will discuss in this blog is not really an emotion at all.

Let’s recap: this much we already know from explanation in previous blogs--emotion is always subject to and constrained by reason and the pure goodness of the persons of the Godhead.

Conversely, we know that emotion in the Godhead fashions reason and pure goodness, too.

Emotion is allowed to affect the outcome of God’s thinking because emotion adds information to God’s thought processes, enriches God’s person, and adds dimension to His range of behavior. This we know we know. And we have talked about various feelings in the Godhead—anger, sympathy, love and how they contribute and how they are edited. Safe ground, huh?

Well, I think so because, edited or not, this love as felt in the Godhead is the kind of love I think I know something about. I mean, after all, I reflexively think of love all the time. And when I think about it in my life, or your life, and now in God’s life, it’s always love as an emotion. Don’t you think something like that, too, dear reader? This is natural enough thinking— that me, you, or God, we have feelings—one of which (thankfully) is love.

Actually, I think I hardly think anymore about what exactly I am thinking when I think about love. Love is love, right? Love is a feeling, right?

Wrong.

Love is not just love the feeling, at least not in the Godhead.

In the Godhead, love is of TWO kinds: The first love is the love we have talked about in our tour of emotion—the feeling, the emotion of love. But love of the second kind (what I call ultimate love, ultimate emotion), that is love that is an act of the WILL, and it is a subject we have not touched.

It’s really easy to forget, even if one has earlier learned it, attentive reader, that there are two types of love alive and well in the Godhead. So let’s now look into this ultimate love as an act of the will.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment