Thursday, February 25, 2010

83 Now, Idle with Me a Moment.


Remember! When I refer to person in the Godhead in any blog, I am referring either to singular person (one-of-three) or to the collective person (three-in-one) of the Triune.

But now let’s idle here a bit longer because I find it timely to include something I read in USA Today on Thursday, February 4, 2010, on the Opinion page under the heading “Narrow-minded beliefs” by Lewis Beale, Wilmington, N.C. His opinion says:

“. . . This, coupled with the Tebow’ belief in the inerrancy of the Bible, says all you need to know about their faith: It’s narrow-minded, reactionary and exclusionary. The Tebows are manacled to their beliefs. But let’s not pretend that they are anything but blinkered thinkers in an increasingly complex—and diverse—world.”

What a convenient conclusion Mr. Beale makes, dear reader! I say convenient because these words concerning Christians seem to come so easily to his pen, (or keyboard, whichever you prefer).

By now you must know me well enough to speculate that I would have penned this same statement rather differently. I would have said:

“. . . This, coupled with . . . belief in the inerrancy of the Bible, says all you need to know about their faith: It’s focused, responsible and inclusive . . . (Christians) are manacled to their beliefs by chains of goodwill toward humankind. But let’s not pretend that they are blinkered thinkers in an increasingly complex—and diverse—world. Let us rather ask, what do they know and appreciate about complexity and diversity in the patterns of chaos that we might not? Let us rather recognize with, at the very least, a modicum of civility that, again, at the very least, they are fellow human beings sometimes suffering rudeness, ill-treatment and false accusations in order to simply and graciously offer or make known the balm of a better hope for a hurting Creation than the rampant anarchy of personal, uninformed conclusions; that we Christians might be offering something to take hold of and own and from which to both immediately and enduringly benefit.”

Hmmm, yes, that sounds more accurate. Truth has a certain perfect ring to it doesn’t it, dear tour companion?

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment