Thursday, July 1, 2010

116 So, If So, How So?


Meaning:conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”

“So, If So, How So?” is going to describe the “how-to” in the search for meaning. Remember, Dear Reader, just because I am familiar with this subject does not mean that I always was. It’s taken me a long time to put all this together, especially with my background as an airhead debutante.

Now, to facilitate aptitude in the search for meaning, I submit this 7-step list on “how” to approach meaning-seeking.

Methods of Meaning-Seeking:

Step #1: Observation The intellect recognizes possible meaning.

Step #2: Discovery The intellect actively seeks, receives or avoids meaning.

Step #3: Interpretation—The intellect derives or ascribes meaning or implications of meaning.

Step #4: Evaluation The intellect measures or evaluates meaning (through conscious or unconscious standards).

Step #5: Qualification The intellect and emotions register various benefits or detriments to meaning.

Step #6: Integration The intellect combines various intellectual, emotional and ego-driven incentives/deterrents for/to meaning-seeking.

Step #7: Application The intellect puts select meanings to use in life experiences.

Next blog I will have some examples of how to step these steps. It's amazing how easy this process is. When I took Karate at University of Hawaii we had to learn a series of steps, a dance if you will, for the final exam. Well, it was work to learn the steps in order to do the dance, but then once learned it was easy and so cool. This process is like that. Invest a bit of time in it to become aware of the "dance" of it and then, it's yours forever! And so cool!

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment