Meaning: “conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”
Let’s take a rose example again to take it one step at a time through the 7-step process:
Observation: One stops to smell a rose.
Discovery: The scent is everything Joy Parfum provides and more.
Interpretation: This must be a Historic Variety.
Evaluation: Hybrids do not have this classic scent.
Qualification: What a pity!
Integration: I’m glad I know not to buy hybrids if I want scent!
Application: I’m only going to buy Historic Varieties.
Careful understanding of this logical and stepwise process of interacting with meaning is a great asset in skill formation, Gentle Reader.
Let’s take a little harder one:
Observation: Everything is about money nowadays.
Discovery: Money is hard to come by.
Interpretation: There must be ways to make money go further.
Evaluation: Two heads are better than one.
Qualification: I hate finances.
Integration: I love my spouse and she/he has a good financial head on her/his shoulders.
Application: She/he can take the lead, but times are hard, I can be a helper.
Meaning-making is a large and significant part of our cognitive experience, Gentle Reader, one we can lovingly and sensitively use, and one I think you will find more than worth the effort.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment