When I now say that people are little I ams, I can now describe the person of a little I am by comparison with God, the Great I AM. Keeping in mind what I sketched in about the person of God as the Great I AM in last blog, now consider these features of being a human person:
Made by God (The Great I AM)
Made in God’s image (little I ams)
Made for a purpose: Relationship with God
Made by plan: to be loved by God and to love God back
These 4 understandings from Scripture imply that a human person is separate from God, is NOT God, but does resemble God.
So the question is, how does the human person resemble God? How is the person made in God’s image?
Scripture reveals many points of resemblance between people and the Godhead. To begin with, Scripture states that each human person has attributes of the Godhead and is capable of actions and behavior of a like kind demonstrated in the Godhead. God has literally made humankind as an offspring, so to speak, of Himself. As such, the Book of Genesis states that God has made the human being in the following ways (listing is not exhaustive):
Made as a conscious spiritual being like God with a soul, spirit, name and works.
Made as a soul with a spiritual mind, emotions, will, personality and life.
Made with a human body and brain of flesh (in the manner of Christ Incarnate) responsive to her/his soul.
Made for relationship with God.
Made for God to love.
Made to delight in and love God.
Made to live life dependent on God (The Triune is interdependent).
Made for God to provide for and protect.
Made a little lower than the angels.
Made a distinct creature (Homo sapiens, Latin for “knowing man”).
Made diverse as either man or woman, for reproduction (The Triune is diverse in Father, Son & Holy Spirit).
Made to live in community as family (The Triune lives in community as family: Father, Son & Holy Spirit).
Made to rule over creation as good stewards answerable to the Triune.
Made for work not toil.
Made for good works.
Made with a moral compass—conscience.
Made with free choice.
Made for good conduct.
Made for good character.
Made to purpose according to God’s good purpose.
Made to plan in harmony with God’s good plans.
Made to create according to God’s good will.
Made to enjoy God and relating to Him.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment