Tuesday, September 6, 2011

194 The Mind: Being and Doing

Let’s start with The Mind: Being and Doing.

All these years and I am only lately registering the concept of mind and its remarkable importance in the experience of life—God’s life or my life!

Oh, I have studied human, mind-related things in the past—biology of the brain, psychology of the mind, philosophy and the mind. I spent one delightful summer taking Philosophy and Karate at college in Hawaii. My brother once said, “I think she wants to be sure that if she doesn’t get them one way she will be able to get them another.” “Them” is the opposition, I suppose.

But to continue—eventually, I also realized that the Bible talks about the mind, too. God and His mind, and human beings and their mind are the subjects of virtually every God-to-human interaction and human-to-human interaction portrayed in Scripture. In Jesus that mind-to-mind interaction with the Father and Holy Spirit is always perfect. With us He is perfect—His mindset toward us is perfect. Us in return? Not so much!

Obviously, most of my life my notion of what the mind is for (its purpose) had been a gross oversimplification of the truth until this realization. I was merely focusing on the human physicality of the brain.

But now Scripture began informing me that the human mind is not just biology (bios). Not just brain matter! Not just a nervous system. Not just a set of electrical impulses. It is all that, but it is also more! Bios and zoe (spirit)—physical life and spiritual reality—combined!

So in my case, here at 60-plus years, I was finally on the scent of just how true that scripture is that says we are fearfully and yet wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment