Friday, March 19, 2010

89 The Power of Choice


Remember! When I refer to person in the Godhead in any blog, I am referring either to singular person (one-of-three) or to the collective person (three-in-one) of the Triune.

I must say that when I first read Cleveland Writer’s letter to USA Today it made me exclaim out loud with pleasure! Clearly the writer understood the person, the stature, the preeminence of the Godhead. Clearly, the writer had faced the necessity of deciding who would reign and rule in her/his life and chosen, and chosen well, a personal relationship with God —the Triune God—and His enduring Word perfectly expressed in The Bible.

And Cleveland Writer’s choice is my choice, too.

I know you may be starting to find yourself wondering why I keep using that phrase my choice all the time. How can I not see how irritating so much repetition is, you may wonder?

Well, dear reader, you must remember that I am, when all is said and done, still just an airhead debutante. And airhead debutantes frequently have irritating habits. It comes with the territory. That simple.

But that aside, and of real importance, I focus on choice so much because choice is a destination in life issue—choice determines where am I going and why.

Consider: In the words of Boomer, hero of the SyFy Channel made-for-TV movie Megafault (October 10, 2009), “At the end . . . we’re left with two things—our relationships and the choices we’ve made.” (See! SyFy adventures are not ALL fluff and stuff and chills and thrills. They’ve got grit, too!)

Choices do determine our destination in life, dear reader. Choices determine our relationships and the outcome of our life. And I agree with Boomer, in the end what I’ve got (that matters most) is my relationships and the choices I’ve made.

So, whether we (you, or I, or anyone else) like it or not, the reality is that we all have to and always will have to make many, many choices that will determine many, many things; things that really matter.

And we will make some choices better than others.

That’s the conundrum of choice!

Choices can be difficult to make.

So much so that at this point in my life, I am highly conscious of my choices and how and why I make them. And rightly so, I believe.

Think of the origins of our fallen world: just as in Adam choice doomed us, so in Christ choice saves us. Simple. Elegant.

Think of relationship to God: One can choose a mere mortal to lead them to God or one can choose Jesus as their Great High Priest to counsel them, to make intercession with God the Father for them, to be their personal advocate before God, to save, love and forgive them, to befriend them, to bring them into the family of God.

Think of this: if God the Father will adopt an airhead debutante because I choose relationship with Jesus Christ, He can and does adopt all who count on Him for a meaningful relationship.

And think of this: Relationship with Jesus means for me that I am an airhead debutante who has chosen Him above all others and is being transformed by my relationship with Him.

Now, to me, those are powerful thoughts.

See what the power of choice can do for a person, where it can take one?

Surely, my choice is determining my destination—a great and enduring future in the family of God.

All because I believe like Cleveland Writer and Boomer—Choice Matters.

Your choice.

My choice.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment