Remember my question in Blog # 3—Life: Got Meaning?
Hmmm, I think I’m on the trail of another significant truth here.
Thinking back, I can say that meaning is another one of those stand-out subjects in the box-of-life I discussed in Blog #2. Like the USA Today article says, meaning matters to people. It matters to me. Come to think of it, that’s why it’s surfaced so readily here in my writing. I even think it would be fair to call it my #2 issue. Maybe it’s not #2 for everybody, but I think anyone can agree that if I say so, obviously it is for me, so . . . refusing to ignore the obvious, I am therefore going to call it as I see it---Significant Truth #2: Meaning.
A Sweet Spirit, I know and love, made a few observations and wanted answers to a few questions when talking about meaning. Sweet Spirit observed first that “ finding ‘meaning’-whatever that means to oneself-is a weighty topic,” and then similarly she states that “meaning is a hard one.” She also observed that writing about meaning should be conducted with aplomb and beautiful style. And she is exactly right.
Then she posed various questions:
How does one define meaning? How do I (Big Thinker) define it for myself?
What parts of life mean something? What parts of life don’t?
How does one make that judgment? How do I make that judgment?
If one classifies something as meaningless, is it ever beneficial to attach meaning to it?
Is it beneficial to attempt to find meaning in subjects one considers meaningless?
Is that activity productive?
Obviously, I know some very insightful people with mature critical standards! Therefore, you can expect, Gentle Reader, to find me addressing Sweet Spirit’s well-phrased inquiries in the following blogs.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment