Meaning: “conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”
I was tempted to do a purely extemporaneous approach to blogging on meaning, but, alas, even the most glib of subjects requires some background and method, otherwise it’s a spacey freefloat! And even the most mundane of subjects benefit from some grounding in background and method. To explore meaning, therefore, I am including some “what,” “how” and “why” before we space walk.
I’ll start by reminding you that last blog concluded that meaning can truly be a big deal in life.
So, if so, why so? means we are going to cover some essential background and method involved in the search for meaning.
By way of background, Gentle Reader, my sort-out has led me to abundant, useful understandings about the “what, how and why” of meaning (among other things) and because of that, I have them at the ready to share.
Most generally, the quandary of why to search for meaning in anything at all is best addressed by simply saying that meaning is a huge component of the life experience, it affects us all deeply. It affects both what we think and what we do. Meaning affects our emotions and desires. It affects our judgment, our choices, our understandings, our very beliefs and our commitments. It affects our level of pleasure, satisfaction and interest in life. Most (fortunate) people want meaning in life—real relevant, gratification-producing meaning.
That understanding led me to another understanding: “Meaning” is a “value” word. It is a word which promises value. There is unique value to be had by searching for meaning. Have no doubt, Dear Reader, I want something valuable out of life. I want significance out of life whether I find it expressed directly or indirectly. It is valuable to me. I want meaning in life. And, my assumption is, you do too.
This understanding explains the popularity of books like The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren. From its public reception, it’s easy to see that many (fortunate, again) people, not just you in addition to me, would like to gain more useful insight into the life experience and, further, aspire to living life with purpose (meaning). They would even like to become adept at identifying, processing and assessing meaning.
To promote such skill, I have assembled 3 Principles of Meaning to explore the “what” of the search for meaning to present to you next blog
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment