Thursday, May 5, 2011

177 Standard Sampling


Meaning:conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”

Today is the National Day of Prayer in America, Gentle Reader, and what better day, than today, to undertake a contemplation of meaning must-haves?

For me, contemplation of meaning begins with keeping the Meaning Must-Haves in mind.

Further, over the years, regular contemplation has evidenced to me that I must assemble a consistent form in applying the meaning must-have terms from Blog # 174 as standards of evaluation.

To achieve said consistent form, I developed the 12 must-haves into a mental Q&A format. From then on, I proceeded to dissect any presumed meaning by employing those questions, every last one of them, before obligating myself to any particular meaning. It is quite a habit by now, though without ongoing conscious practice, I could easily digress from my pattern. Thus, putting them in writing has value for me.

That known, I present those questions (a few at a time over several blogs) in hope they may serve your purposes, too:

Clarity: What is the clear meaning related to whatever I am examining?

For example, if I consider life, can the meaning for life that I choose be clearly communicated by a statement of belief, thought or deed? Can that statement be clearly understood by me or others?

Take this instance: Scripture says the meaning of life is that God made humankind for relationship with Him. If I say I believe that, then I must be able to say clearly why.

The why to me is that both Old and New Testament describe God in relationship with humans—again and again. Relationship is not an occasional happenstance of Scripture. Relationship with God as described in Scripture is the pinnacle of achievement in the life experience of humankind. This is clearly evident to me.

Reasonableness: Is the belief, thought or deed reasonable?

My primary standard is reasonableness.

If I see that I am using sound reason to sort through my options, I am satisfied. Reason was a big deal in my family, with friends, in school. God is reasonable. Christianity is very reasonable.

Oh, and also, if you remember, it is not necessary to “make” Christianity reasonable. It already is, down to the last detail, even the supernatural details. Come on, guys, our Almighty God can do supernatural! With Resurrection Power by the Holy Spirit, God the Father raised Jesus the Son from the dead! With witnesses! History records it. Scripture writes it. And that means everything to me!

Because of my love of God, I will always be at odds with those who would diminish the wonder of life. To me, such wonders are, and pray God always will be, indisputably reasonable works of our Omnipotent God.

My choice.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment