Monday, May 30, 2011

181 Final Measurements

Meaning:conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”

My question list is coming to an end, Dear Reader, but I cannot stop until I convey these last three of the 12 Meaning Must Haves:

Quality: Is the meaning a quality meaning?

(As I have said before) smarter and better people, more genuine, concerned and caring people than I must have embraced the belief, thinking or action, in the then and now. That, to me, makes a meaning a quality meaning. Millions and millions of high-order thinking people have embraced Christianity for over 2000 years now. I gratefully follow their lead.

Value: Is the meaning valuable?

To be valuable, the meaning must have cost somebody something to believe it at some time. Cost divides the men from the boys every time. And does Christianity cost? Well, you can answer that one for yourself.

Timelessness: Can and does this meaning have applicability to people of any time or place?

I want to invest in meaningfulness that keeps on blessing the person who receives it throughout her/his life and throughout eternity. I want meaningfulness that has blessed, is blessing and will bless, no matter the century or age. And I want meaningfulness that one can take with one when one “goes,” that carries every believer to a worthy consummation of this life experience. I want meaningfulness that was as important for people past as it is for people now and will be for people of tomorrow, no matter how far away and unimaginable that tomorrow is.

As you can see, meaningfulness has to check out all around with me to qualify as meaningful.

I can only discuss life and meaning in terms of Christianity, Gentle Reader. To me, meaning matters in life. Christianity matters in life. Both certainly matter in my life.

And though I do not claim to be entirely free of my airhead predilections, you can rightly assume that I will not be taking up space in this blog for discussions on how to be a great shopper, or how to give the perfect party. Such subjects, though fun, do not suffice. It would be like eating all carbs and no protein. Now that’s a disgusting idea no airhead debutante would ever entertain.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment