Tuesday, May 17, 2011

179 Measuring Rewards and Reality


Meaning:conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”

Continuing with Implication #4, which involved how to measure meaningfulness or Meaning Must Haves, we move now to Rewards and Pragmatism.

Rewards: Are there rewards in the meaningfulness I choose?

I measure meaningfulness by the standard of rewards—that is, are there any?

For something to be meaningful to me it must have rewards—“good” rewards. Good by the standard of Jesus. I have been promised rewards in Christ Jesus, by right of what He has done and because of my resulting relationship with Him (Ephesians 1-3, NKJV). And I am to have steadfast hope in Jesus. That means I am to consciously hold onto my expectation of reward in Christ Jesus. And I value those rewards in Christ Jesus. Thus if I practice the Christian Way, I expect all kinds of different rewards (Ephesians 4-6, NKJV).

Pragmatism: Is this meaning pragmatic?

To be meaningful to me, any premise must be pragmatic—it must recognize reality and define boundaries and limitations within reality—to me, that’s pragmatic.

Boundaries and limitations both are necessary for our own good and for our protection. Well-defined limits are especially necessary when there is more than one person involved. I’ve been in kindergarten. Not a place to be without clearly defined reality and firmly upheld boundaries and limitations. Christianity is all about self-imposed boundaries, limits and self-control.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment