Meaning: “conveying a significance that is not directly expressed . . .”
So far, we have covered clarity, reasonableness, faith base, humanity, virtue, rewards, and pragmatism—7 of the 12 Meaning Must Haves. Time for 2 more.
Validity: Is the meaning valid?
That means does the meaning hold up under scrutiny, value assessment and comparison?
The meaning of Christianity has and does ably hold up under examination, has for millennia.
Far greater thinkers and doers than I from past, present or future generations of humankind have affirmed, do, and will affirm the meaningfulness of Christianity; many with the forfeiture of their very life, a clear indication of how greatly they value the “good news” of Christ Jesus.
Now that’s meaningful!
At one point in my father’s young life, his older brother came to help him when he was deathly ill from pneumonia—this is before there was penicillin— and carried him home for family care. In the process, his brother contracted pneumonia and died, while my father lived. This incident grieves my heart every time I consider it, and it certainly grieved my father’s heart. Yet, at the same time, I can’t help but celebrate the ultimate generosity it demonstrates.
Christians believe in saving people, Gentle Reader, even at the risk of their own life.
Durability: Is the meaning durable?
Has it, can it, or will the meaning I am considering endure? The meaning of Christianity has and does endure. It is faithfully recorded history with witnesses and independent corroboration. It is a precious gift to me and all who receive it, and I treasure it.
To be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment