Friday, May 24, 2013

412 Social Disarray



Believe it or not, Gentle Reader, my manners began to slide many years ago now, because I had a diminishing concept of a constant for manners. To explain this phenomena is simple: the times they were a-changing—so fast. Manners were eroding all around me, leaving me clueless as to what to think or do. I now realize I was fast becoming what is referred to today as “old school”. Or, really just out of it, take your choice.

To understand the confusion I felt, consider how over 50 years in America, once a very homogeneous nation, it became very diverse. I can throw some light on how that diversity has modified manners and customs in America this way: what once was a well understood idea—the rule of walk to the right (as in drive to the right, also) is now a muddled affair.

We all know that back then (when I was taught) peoples of other countries thought quite the opposite, walking and driving to the left (and still do). But most traveled Americans agreed “when in Rome, do as the Romans do” (and still do), meaning we dutifully walked and drove to the left when out and about in our overseas travels.

Alas, Gentle Reader, today in America, most visitors from other countries do not reciprocate in kind, obeying the same dictum, resulting in frequent confusion. So often nowadays, I find visitors from overseas not doing as we Americans do. And, for me, that’s really disruptive.

I cannot tell you how often I have been out walking (we live in a tourist destination) and encounter an approaching number of people who (innocently) but determinedly keep bearing to their left, while I keep bearing to my right. In fact, it has happened so many times, I no longer automatically bear to my right when walking (when driving yes, walking no). 

Instead, I now suspiciously regard the oncoming group, all the while wondering how it’s all going to work out. The net result for me is a new routine of ungracious dodging. Now, to me, this is not an improvement upon my old school ways.

But this is a small thing, you may say, and certainly not evil. And in that you are right. But a vast number of such dislocations in good habits can add up to quite a bit of social upheaval which in itself, if not resolved, can lead to an evil social disarray.

Perhaps a few more illustrations are needed.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment